Sunday, June 5

Viking Reunion put on hold

We decided to change our plans a bit again. Or at least move forward with PLAN D from our recently mentioned plans until it is "completed" or something happens with the applications I've circulated.

We're going to stay in Norwich through the end of our lease (Sept. 1). It's been a bit stressful to make the moving plan work and it just doesn't feel right at the moment. Felt like we were trying to force it. So, I'm going to find a part-time job here and write my dissertation. This will give us more time to "assess the situation" and I'll keep looking for a job in an archive... somewhere.

Perhaps we'll move to Copenhagen in September, I don't know. We learned a couple of shitty things that perhaps make it much more of a challenging place to live than we thought. K will not be able to take the government-sponsored Danish lessons until she gets her residence permit, which seems to take about 6 months. Obviously, she can't legally work until then either. And the real kicker is that she would not be able to benefit from any of the social services until after 7 years, so she'd get nothing for all the money she'd be paying in taxes. I'm sure there will be some kind of "cooling off period" for me too since I've never paid anything into the system either. Anyway, we need to think it over a little more and it just seemed like we were rushing into it.

I should hear about the archiving job in London sometime this coming week, that's the one I'm most qualified for so I have a good chance getting it. The other job in Nottingham is a little more of a long-shot, but we'll see. As for the National Museum in Denmark, I got a letter from them saying they had received my application and that I will be contacted if they would like me to come in for an interview. Interviews are supposed to be this coming week. I still haven't heard anything, so I doubt that I will. If they have enough candidates in town, they probably wouldn't bother calling someone in from another country for an interview. Even if they did, I probably wouldn't take it anyway. Three months of work just wouldn't cut it, especially when K wouldn't be able to work for however long. Add to this the fact that we are financially "tapped" right now and we're thinking we can just relocate to another country with all the expense that would be incurred?! I guess you could say we've just come back to reality a little bit.

)RP(

No comments: