Sunday, May 29

Everybody's gotta have a plan, don't they?
...well, we've got four (at least).

So, we've been having this period of uncertainty about our move to Denmark. This has motivated a definite "ooky" feeling within us. Sort of a feeling of mild terror, peppered with a general malaise, and only partially mitigated by a notion of gung-ho-edness that is struggling to stay aboard in this rough sea.

After sleeping on it and generally trying to ignore it (it = the uncertainty), we think we may have come up with a course of action. This was something I had been mulling over last night, but didn't bring up because I thought it would just be written off for being too "inactive". This is usually my preferred path: the see-what-happens/let-fate-decide path (I don't like making decisions). Anyway, the idea is that we let nature take its course. So... what do you think?

OK... let me explain. I've found a job opening at the National Museum in Copenhagen as a docent/factotum/groundskeeper. It's full-time from July through September and then it goes to 60 hours per month. This seems to be a rather perfect opening "salvo" for getting our feet firmly in the soil over there. So, I'm definitely applying for that. But I've also decided to apply for a job as a cataloguer/researcher at MACE in Nottingham, a one-year fixed term with a paycheck of £20,000. Catching my drift? We roll the dice and see what happens. The scenario could play out in any of the following ways (in no particular order):

PLAN A: I get the job at the National Museum and we proceed with our June 30th move to Denmark. However, we might keep our UK apartment to mid-July, just to buy a little more time with selling the car and what-not.

PLAN B: I don't get the National Museum job, but I get the MACE job. We move to Nottingham for a year, I work for a pretty nice salary, get some good archiving experience, and then we figure out where to go from there (Denmark?).

PLAN C: I get offered both jobs. HUGE decision. Will get back to you on this one.

PLAN D: I get neither one in which case we will either go ahead with our June 30th (or mid-July) move to Denmark or push it to September so that we have more time to "figure things out". If we go with the latter option, I will definitely have to find a "summer job" here.

---

Well, now you know. I'm glad I got that off my chest. It's good to have a plan(s).

No comments: