Wednesday, May 18

Good news from the Danish Immigration Service

Because I didn't feel very secure about the information I got from them when I called last week, I decided to call them again today to ask more questions about the "free movement clause". There were too many insecurities hanging around this. I needed to find out the exact requirements.

I'm relieved to be able to report that it will be much easier to apply (and likely be granted) this allowance than we originally thought. An EU citizen has the right to seek employment in any of the EU member states and, in doing so, is allowed to bring in any immediate family members. Turns out that I don't need to prove that I already have a job and a temporary address is OK (i.e.- we can sublease a smaller apartment for the short-term while we look for something more permanent). The fact that I've worked in Belgium and went to postgrad university here is also a plus. Furthermore, the fact that K has been working this entire time definitely works in our favor (she's not "sponging a living from the state").

We just need to fill out the regular family reunification application and indicate that we want to use the "EU rule". Then we just need to supply as much supporting documentation as possible (and we still intend on supplying a dizzying amount, as I said before). Processing can take up to 4 months, but it is completely fine that we move to DK before then.

Anyway, this is great news obviously. Takes a lot of pressure off, gives us a little more flexibility. So, now the only stumbling blocks are:

-finding an apartment
-moving our belongings (and selves) to DK cheaply
-selling the car
-nailing down a job once we're in Copenhagen

-RP-

No comments: