Friday, June 24

Unsuccessful

I guess 13 really is an unlucky number. In this case, it "wrecked" both interviews. I found out on Wednesday (via e-mail) that I was not successful with my application at the place in Nottingham and found out yesterday (via snail mail) that I was not successful at the one in London either. It's a little disappointing, but I had tried to pretty much prepare for this outcome. I wasn't surprised that I didn't get the Nottingham one. However, I must admit that the outcome of the other one was a bit surprising. The positive side of this is that now I have no excuse not to churn out my dissertation (whereas I would have been working on weekends and on train rides if I had either of these jobs).

One of my other classmates was interviewed in Nottingham, but was also unsuccessful. Found out today, though, that she got one of the positions in London starting in two weeks. I also know one of my other classmates did not get the London job, but there are still two more I need to find out about. See how they did.

The job in Nottingham went to a guy who was already familiar with the material needing to be catalogued because he had worked for ITV (the company that produced it and owns it). I spoke to the head of the archive today and he said that I did really well in the interview and that they were impressed by the preparation and thought I had put into the project. He said that if the ITV guy had not performed well in the interview, it probably would have gone to me. So, that's definitely good feedback and I certainly can't fault them for going with the person that they did. It would be stupid of them not to.

Anyway, that's that. Sort of a relief to have those out of the way, though it would have been nice to land one of the gigs. For now, I'll be working on my dissertation and hopefully doing some part-time job somewhere. Before I know it, other job opportunities will spring up!

-RP-

No comments: