Sunday, June 19

Interview #1

My first archiving interview has been overcome. I took an 11am train down to London on Friday. Several "forces" conspired to make it at least an uncomfortable experience for me: it was suddenly hot in the UK (and still is) and "vandals" had sabotaged the signalling system between Norwich and Diss (causing delays of up to 45 minutes and cancellations). Despite the delays, I still made it with plenty of time to spare for my 3pm interview. However, dressed like an office employee (complete with a tie and black slacks) and riding the tube in sickening heat, meant that I was a sweaty, dripping mess by the time I got to where I needed to be. Twenty minutes before my interview, I was sitting in the lobby trying to stop myself from sweating. Luckily, things were beginning to be under control by the time I was invited into the interview room and the seat I was placed in benefitted from a nice draft of cool air from the AC unit in the cieling.

The interview went pretty well. There were three people conducting the interview, the three highest "lieutenants" of the project. They asked questions like: "What are the two most important things to consider when cataloguing and why?", "What do you think is the most important event of the 20th century and why?", "Can you name a time when your knowledge/experience contributed to solving a problem in a professional setting?", "Have you ever worked in a team setting?", etc., etc. I think I answered most of them pretty well and I kept the humor to a minimum, despite my natural inclinations (like Chandler on Friends, I make jokes when I'm uncomfortable).

They were interviewing 14 people for 5 positions. I was number 13. Choosing to ignore the superstitious connotations of that. The jobs will not start at the same time, they will be staggered over a few months, but all will be 12 months contracts with possibility renewal for a further 6 months (depending on the needs of the project and, obviously, performance). They will notify by the 24th.

I'm really curious to find out who gets it. I know at least 6 UEA students (present and past) were interviewed, including myself. But for now, I need to focus my energy on my next interview. This Tuesday in Nottingham. Similar type of project, but it will not be a team setting. Both are pretty interesting, though.

-RP-

2 comments:

Andy said...

I hate sweating, even worse in dressier clothes. Nothing says "I'm a professional" like halos of sweat around the ol' pits and up the back.

In hindsight, the interview went fairly well. What was the greatest breakthrough of this past century, btw?

RP said...

Sweating is the bane of my existence. It seems I was built for Arctic climes.

Breakthrough... well, the question was "What was the most important event of the 20th century?" I said something about WWI/WWII (since they're really the same war, I'm considering them as one event) because this was one of the first moments when the world really started to be aware of its "global consciousness"; that there is more to the world than the individual's homeland, etc.

Sort of talking out of my ass, but I happen to agree with the story!