Wednesday, June 8

Job Interviews

For the past several days, I have been back on the old pavement-pounding beat. I'm looking for a part-time job somewhere in the city. Not much luck yet, but I've handed in applications and CVs at coffee shops, lunch shops, and a video store. All of these places had "help wanted" signs in the window. Despite the tepid response, I have landed an interview at the video store, tomorrow at 3:45pm. Might not be too bad, if I get the gig. Certainly would have its benefits as far as renting DVDs! And it's an area where I'm actually a bit knowledgeable.

But that's just small potatoes. I got an e-mail yesterday with an invitation for a job interview at BUFVC, the archive job in London! They are interviewing a lot of people, but they're looking to hire six, I think. That makes my chances a little better. At least one of my classmates has also landed an interview. The truly disconcerting competition, though, are the BFI cataloguers who were recently let go. How much do you want to bet that they handed in applications? Even still, it will be good experience to try an archive employment interview.

My interview is on Friday the 17th in the afternoon. K and I had already bought our train tickets to go to London on the 14th (the day we were going to go to the Danish Embassy for her residence permit application). It's too expensive/inconvenient to change the tickets, so we're going to go to London anyway. Too bad the interview didn't land on that day, though! Oh well. With my student rail pass, it only costs about £13.50 each way so that's not too bad.

-RP-

No comments: