Friday, October 1

Educated

So, that's one week of classes done. By far the most interesting one is the Archiving course. It's going to be a lot of fun. There are three or four trips this semester alone. In fact, I just got back from our first trip: a film archiving conference in Great Yarmouth (a 30 minute train-ride from here). The conference was held in The Hippodrome. It was built in 1903 and has been the site of an indoor circus/variety show since then. History came full circle because part of the conference was regarding the early days of film exhibition -- "movies" were shown at fairgrounds and variety shows by travelling exhibitors -- and The Hippodrome was one of the venues where films were shown in this area.

Anyway, I'm slowly but surely getting back into the academic mode and I'm being a good boy about keeping up with my reading assignments. And I've been seeing a lot of movies which is always a plus. I really don't envy the people who have there noses shoved in law books or something like that! But I guess they'll be making more money than me when they are through with it... so I don't know who's luckier.

Other pictures from the Great Yarmouth Trip:

-The circus ring.

-The Empire, another building from the early 1900s which is now a nightclub called "Zen".

-1908 theatre (I think), but now bought out by an arcade.

-Group photo of some of us archiving students (from left to right): Vicky, Louise, Audrey, Liana, Clare, & Alex. Audrey and Liana are from the US.

-Another group photo of same people, but with me substituting for Alex.

No comments: