Sunday, October 17

For my archiving course, we each had to shoot a short silent film using B&W film and a Bolex 16mm camera. The film will then be sent to Prestech Laboratories in London (a lab that specializes in working with archives) for processing. We will then personally go and pick it up (next Saturday) while at the same time getting a tour of the lab. When we return, everyone will edit their film on a Steenbeck (film editting table), cut the negative according to our editted workprint, and send this off to the lab to make a projection print. In this way, we will learn about the entire process involved in making an exhibition print.

So, I've been having a bit of a taste of what I did in my undergrad days at Boston University. However, we never got into cutting the negative and making a projection print there, mostly for budgetary reasons, so I'm really looking forward to trying that out. By the end of this semester, I'll have a 2-minute silent film, ready for projection without any tape splices to get caught in a projector.

I shot my film yesterday. It's sort of an "avant garde" piece and I don't really know what it's about or what it means. The "story" will essentially be made on the editting table. The basic idea is that a lady (played by Kristen) is having a really weird dream which, among a few other things, involves a pumpkin falling and breaking open. Don't ask... I don't know what it means.

-RP-

No comments: