Wednesday, September 22

Little Piece of Belgium

Monday afternoon I started my new job at the Belgian Monk, a restaurant/bar that only serves Belgian food and beer (hence the name). It is a five minute walk from our apartment, in the old part of the city. It has been more than 15 years since I waited tables and I'm a little rusty, but my coworkers are nice and the food is great. Rich has been dribbling little bits of beer knowledge into my brain so I can accurately advise customers on what they should order with their wild boar sausages and mash. I'll be working full-time, around 35-38 hours per week. I'm sure there will be interesting things to write about it soon. Here is an article about it.

I'm happy to be working, although the pay is barely enough for our living expenses - it is better than nothing! I plan on working there through the end of the year and then restarting my job search. I'm having a little trouble with the idea (and reality) of being a waitress. I realize that Norwich is a small town and the opportunities are severely limited, but I was holding out hope for something a little more...intellectual? professional? respectable? I don't know exactly what I has hoping for. I keep thinking, "I've got a master's degree. Shouldn't I be doing something real ?" But I don't think bad things about people who wait tables or wonder what's wrong with them that they don't have a career. Why do I think that of myself? There's a lesson in here somewhere.
~K

No comments: