Wednesday, July 23

Two developments today...

I got a speeding ticket! For going "50" in a 35. The "quotation marks" are there because I'm about 95% sure that I was going more like 45. Sure, that's only a 5 mph difference. But in terms of the cost of the ticket, that's like $30-40! Since I'll be a good citizen and pay it, it's going to set me back $109. That's a big nut for someone in the shoes I'm currently wearing! Could have been worse, I guess. I've settled for telling myself that it's my donation to the Oregon government. Perhaps, with my help and others like me, Oregon's public schools won't have to start their summer vacations three weeks early next year (FYI, they "misallocated" funds this year and many schools didn't have enough money to have a full school year).

The other development is that I took a job at Nike in Wilsonville. I got it through the temp agency. $8/hr. 6am to 4:30pm. Pretty long day of pulling inventory and packing boxes. Here's the job description:


Order Picker

Standing all day long filling orders for shipment. Setting up boxes, placing labels on boxes according to orders. Picking items, pulling footwear boxes from bins & cartons. Double checking filled cartons for accuracy, sealing cartons. Working in a fast-paced deadline oriented department. Requires strong interpersonal communication skills, basic math skills, English (both verbal and written). Heavy and consistent lifting through entire shift. Standing, sitting, bending, lifting and twisting repetitively throughout the day. Prior warehouse/material handling experience is strongly recommended. This department works very fast and without the experience it is difficult to keep pace while still maintaining accuracy.


Sound like your cup of tea? All you have to do is move up to Northern Oregon. They still need more people. And every thirty days you work with perfect attendance, you get a free pair of Nikes!

After I work for 1.5 days, I'll have the speeding ticket paid off that I got as a result of going for this job. Maybe I should send the bill to Nike...

--RP--

No comments: