Saturday, September 30

World Trade Center

We just saw Oliver Stone's film World Trade Center. He was surprisingly restrained - no conspiracy theories in it at all. We both felt it was as honest a portrait as can be told by someone other than the people who actually went through it. Granted, they did work with him on the story and the families were involved - but it is a lot to ask that such a major film (with major actors) would remain true, and I think it did. It also struck me, as we were sitting in the theater filled with a British audience, that the film was so very American and I wondered if they were responding like we were. We Americans expect that everyone, especially our firemen and policemen, will always do the right thing and not be hesitant to risk their own lives for someone else's. That's our culture - or at least one of our cultural myths - and such a common storyline that I take it for granted that the Brits would get it. But do they? Or are they rolling their eyes and sighing in the dark at the blatant heroism? It's funny. Living in England, I feel safe and know that most everyone I encounter will be polite and most likely, kind. And that if our car broke down at least 5 people would stop and ask if we needed help. That's not an assumption I make at home. Yet I don't feel that same belief from the Brits about themselves and I definitely don't feel their belief that they always do the right thing. But maybe they do. Maybe it is too British of a thing for me to get. Maybe they are more humble than us. Perhaps they are just as heroic but they just don't celebrate it. Maybe they should! It may be more honorable to not 'toot one's horn' but the behavior of the policemen and firemen in New York immediately after 9/11 seems to be one thing that we should be proud of. And there aren't many things to be proud of at the moment, so I'm grateful for this!

This is a good film. Very good. A heck of a lot better than United 93.
Go see it! Here's a link to the official site... WTC.

)K

No comments: