Thursday, February 10

English Vocabulary

British English really is a different language from American English. It's a wonder Americans and Brits understand each other at all. Pronounciation is a different story, but it needs to be covered in its own separate entry. Anyway, vocab-wise, here are a few that we've collated so far (there will likely be more later):

Starkers: naked (as in "I saw the professor starkers yesterday")

Knacker: to ruin something ("Bob knackered his PC with a hammer")
Knackered: to be tired ("I'm knackered") ; OR to be ruined (as above)
Knackers: testicles ("Don't touch 'me' knackers!")

Crumpett: a type of bread (similar to an English muffin); OR an attractive woman

Muffin: a type of bread (same as an English muffin in the US); OR an old crone

Knick: to steal; OR to be put in jail (as in "I was put in the knick")
Knicked: stolen (as in "I 'ad 'me' bike knicked last night")
Knickers: undergarments (as in "Where are 'me' knickers, then?")

Pants: undergarments (from "underpants"); OR instead of "sucks" (as in "You failed your test? That's pants!")

Cheesed Off: angry (as in "I'm really cheesed off because I failed my test!")

Doing my head in: becoming frustrated or confused (as in "All of these new words are doing my head in"); usually pronounced "du-in me ed in"

Tea: dinner/supper (as in "What are you having for your tea then?")

Dinner: lunch (yeah, we don't get it either)

Biscuit: a cookie without chocolate in or on it

Cookie: a "biscuit" with chocolate in or on it

Pudding: dessert, used interchangeably with (as in "You're going to bed without your pudding!")

Skive off: avoid responsibility (as in "Those teenagers are skiving off.")

Tosser: a jerk (as in "Ashcroft is such a tosser!")

Wanker: bastard, use interchangeably with (as in "George W is a wanker!")

Sorted: taken care of (as in "My archive internship is sorted."); ALSO "all sorted", "get it sorted", "sort yourself out", etc.

Bishy Bishy Barnaby: ladybug (regional Norfolk slang)
Ladybird: ladybug (nationally)

Bollocks: testicles; OR synonymous with "bullshit"
Dog's Bollocks: fantastic (as in "Belgian beer is the dog's bollocks!")

No comments: