Friday, March 26

The Whingers

I don't understand how an entire island with the population of more than 58,000,000 can collectively evolve into being a nation of complaining, whining drama-queens. Now, I know that's a HUGE sweeping generalization, so I apologize to the Brits I currently know and the ones I may know in the future who don't fit this description. But the numbers speak for themselves.

Take the call-center I work in for example. The volume of calls from other countries (like France, Spain, and Italy) far outweighs the volume of calls we get from the UK. And that's not a total of all those countries versus the UK. That's per country. Despite that fact, the amount of cases from the UK that end up requiring supervisor intervention or handling by the Customer Relations department is far higher than the amount of "escalated cases" from the other countries. So, what does that tell you? Then add the fact that every single person in the call-center who has taken any amount of calls from the UK shares the opinion that these people are a bunch of complainers. Any chance we get to avoid calls from the UK is exploited.

In my case, the Team Leaders are constantly mentioning how long the wait times and how high the "abondon rates" are for the Swedish market. So, I keep telling them to put me on Swedish only because the long wait times ALWAYS have to do with the fact that I am on an English call (usually with the UK). They haven't taken the bait. I'll keep trying, though!

So... why am I now whinging and complaining about the whinging and complaining UK customers? Because I want to take this opportunity to take a public vow. "Well, you're not from there, so why are you worried about that?" you say? Because this "social disease" is not exclusive to "native" inhabitants of the UK. Seemingly, immigrants who have lived there only a few years quickly learn these argumentative, complaint skills. If it weren't for their foreign accents, I wouldn't be able to tell them apart from the native English. That's a scary thought! We're going to be living there for at least 4 years, so we're in grave danger!

My vow: I swear upon all that I hold dear, that I will NOT become one of these complainers when we move to the United Kingdom (or any time thereafter). If you find me moaning about all the injustices in life that I've been subjected to and demanding recompensation for mental duress or other such nonsense, please serve me a good, swift kick to the rear when I least expect it. Why? Because that's what you deserve when you act like that!

-RP-

No comments: