Sunday, December 28

Beginning of Day 3

We're in Little Rock, Arkansas. It has finally gotten a bit colder. All the way through Florida, Alabama, and the corner of Tennessee, it was around 70 degrees, but when we arrived in Little Rock, it was in the 50s.

The trip so far has been really nice. The only upset was when I got pulled over by the Highway Patrol outside of Tallahassee, FL. There were two police cars on the right-side shoulder. One officer was busy giving someone a ticket. When we drove by, the other officer sped onto the highway and up to us with his lights flashing, so we pulled over. Office Swindle (that was actually his name!) informed me that, since 2002, there is a "Move Over" law in Florida (you have to change lanes if there is an emergency vehicle on the shoulder with flashing lights). I had some really bad excuses and forgot to say "I'm sorry, officer" and I didn't think to explain at first that we hadn't lived in Florida since 1999. He took my license and registration and went back to his patrol car. A long time passed and he came back with a clipboard in his hand. I then did my "sorry, officer" bit and explained we hadn't lived here in a long time. He said my license was registered in 2005 and then shoved the clipboard at me. At that point, there wasn't much point in trying to explain why I had that license (I had renewed my license during a visit home from England). The citation was for $136! Annoyingly, I almost did change lanes, but because the person ahead of us didn't, I thought it was OK. I certainly would have done so had I known it was a law!

Anyway, we made it to Troy, Alabama (our first stop) about an hour and a half later. Had dinner at a good little Mexican restaurant. The Hampton Inn we stayed in was really nice. Got a good night's sleep.

Day 2 went by without any problems. It was a nice drive through Alabama, across Mississippi, and through Memphis. We were on a smaller highway most of the way so there was a bit of character. Had some trouble finding a place to eat lunch because we were in a particularly undeveloped section of the country. That lost us some time.

Last night, when we finally reached the I-40 in Arkansas, it started PISSING DOWN! I don't think I have ever driven in such heavy rain. It was incredible. And a welcome rinsing of the car! It had mostly let up by the time we got close to Little Rock.

After checking in at the Holiday Inn in North Little Rock, we drove across the river to downtown Little Rock (really nice, by the way). I had read about a couple of brewpubs that were worth trying. We went to one called Boscos. The parking was a bit pricey in that area ($5), but we had a scrumptious dinner and I sampled a few of their beers.

This morning, we have a 8-9 hour tripped plotted to Amarillo, TX. I need to re-jig some of the stuff in the car so we have a bit more room and then we are going to take a quick drive through Little Rock to see what it's like in the daytime, before getting back on I-40W.

Tonight: The Big Texas Steak Ranch on Route 66 in Amarillo! Not going to try the 72 oz challenge, though!

No comments: