Friday, July 22

Next...

We had just about recovered from the shock of Rich's job offer on Monday when we got a wrench thrown in the works. Yesterday I received a request-for-interview letter from Bournemouth University regarding a job application that I had sent them several weeks ago. The job is a researcher position in the Centre for Creative Media Research (http://media.bournemouth.ac.uk/ccmr.html). The excellent thing about this job is in addition to the salary they also will pay tuition for a PhD if so desired. I had sent my application in nice and early and hoped that I might hear from them. Well the closing date came and went. Two weeks went by and no news, so I assumed that I was not on their shortlist. I moved on mentally, not thinking about it anymore and looking for other interesting possibilities. Then on Monday Rich got the London job and our attention was immediately focused on figuring out where we wanted to live, giving notice to our current employers, etc. The letter's arrival on Thursday was a HUGE surprise! The interview is scheduled for August 1 at 1:45. The complication now is that we don't know where we should be looking to find a place to live. If I get the B.U. job, then we need to look southwest of London and we'll both have a 50 minute commute. If I don't get the B.U. job, then we need to be northwest of the city to allow for the easiest possible commuting for Rich. So we are now on hold until after my interview - hopefully they will make a quick decision. With Rich's job starting August 15th and my last day of work at the theatre on August 26th, we don't have much time to get ourselves moved before our lease ends on August 31st.

When things happen, they sure seem to happen all at once!

~K

No comments: