Wednesday, October 15

We went back to the commune office yesterday to continue the Belgian identity card application process. This time, however, we brought along Jessica, a friend of mine from school who is fluent in French. Our appointment was anytime between 8am and 11am, so we decided to get it over with early. Jessica met us at the Merode metro station and we rode together to Parc, where we then found the appropriate tram to take us to the office. We were among the first people there, so there was no line to wait in. The same guy as last time was in the booth - I didn't even try to talk to him (still traumatized!), but Jessica had no problem explaining to him why we were there. He assigned us to a window and we sat down to wait our turn. Maybe 5 minutes later our number was called. After a few questions from the woman behind the glass, we were given a simple form to fill out and a short list of required documents to bring back: 3 passport photos, letter of registration from my school, 3 copies of the passports and visas, 6 euros for me and 12 euro for Rich. Fortunately we had everything with us, but lacked the multiple copies. It was only a minor delay while we ran around the corner, made copies in a newspaper shop and ran back. After giving her our paperwork, we were told, via Jessica, that the police would visit our apartment and give us another document to fill out. Then we must return to the commune office with the form and pick up our ID cards. Judging by everything I've seen so far, I'm guessing that this will be a long process. Bureaucracy is the same no matter what country you're in!

On the metro back to Merode, Jessica and I saw a sign advertising 20 euro haircuts on Tuedays, no appointment necessary, at a place right near our apartment. It was Tuesday - so we decided to give it a try. Its always a little scary getting a haircut at a new place, but this was worse! My limited French does not include words for 'spiky,' 'texturized,' or 'bangs.' I pantomimed and gestured my description to the hairdresser, and she did a great job. What a relief! Its silly, I know. I should be focusing my complete attention on putting information into my head, not worrying about my hair, but it feels good to have it all trimmed up. My first foreign hair cut. Woohoo!
~K

No comments: