Sunday, August 5

Beervana

Tomorrow morning at 6am I'm getting on a bus to London where I will be spending the week volunteering at the Great British Beer Festival.  Hopefully, I'll be dispensing beer and possibly selling glasses.  That's what I requested on the staffing form.  Just don't want to be a "steward" or a bouncer.  If they stitch me up with that I probably won't stay all week.  Perhaps a bad attitude to have, but I'm giving up hard-earned vacation time to volunteer there so I should be able to do something I will enjoy, I think!  The organization takes care of room and board for the duration of the festival.  I'll be living in a hostel or something like that, "roughing it".  The best thing is that I get to try a bunch of different beers for free or at a discounted cost.  Should be fun.

K is in Oregon right now visiting family and looking into a little business idea we have been considering.  More about that later if we go ahead with it.

In other news, my promotion is official.  The new job title kicked in on August 1st.  I just signed the contract the other day.  A nice pay rise and an additional 10 days of paid holiday.  It's not going to be an easy job, but I think I'm going to enjoy it (at least most of the time).

4 comments:

Andy said...

Have a great time. GBBF seems like a blast. I dream of getting glass vessels for tastings instead of plastic.

RP said...

It WAS a blast! You should come over for it next year. I met an American who has been coming over every year to volunteer for the past few years. It's free accommodation, so all you have to pay for is the air fare and then a little on lunch and dinner at the subsidized staff canteen and however much you want to spend on the beer that you can't get for free.

Andy said...

Just like your comments about not knowing what a year from now will be like....

RP said...

Ah, fair enough. I'll check back with you in 6 months!