Wednesday, May 3

Please, please vote for me!

Tomorrow (May 4th) is election day in the UK, but just for local government (city councillor). I received a polling card in the mail a couple of weeks ago, inviting me to cast my vote. So, to be a part of the community, I thought "What the hell, why not?" This will not only be the first time I will vote in the UK, but also the first time I will vote in ANY election anywhere. Living in the US, I was not allowed to vote because I was not a citizen. As a "Permanent Resident" you are afforded pretty much all the rights of an American citizen except for the right to vote. This didn't really bother me all that much. Anyway, since we are currently living in the UK, which is part of the European Union to which I am a citizen, I am allowed to vote.

I've been struggling about who to vote for because I'm not sure what political party I'd fit into (Labour? Conservative? Liberal Democrat? Respect? Greens?), so I've just been looking at the issues. We're most concerned about the farmland around us getting re-zoned for low-rent housing. We are vehemently against this, so I'll vote for the party that shares that view.

The city councellor for the past 7 years has been a Liberal Democrat. Things seem pretty good here, so I suppose he's doing a good job. Therefore, he'll likely get my vote. My only reservation is his name. Sit down. Are you ready for this?

Hiscock. Hiscock!

No comments: