Sunday, December 18

You're Quitting? Let's Celebrate!

In England it is customary to reward someone for quitting their job. The quitter's co-workers get together to buy a "farewell gift" and sometimes throw a "leaving do" (a party or night out) in their honor. This idea is absurd beyond my capacity to describe it. An example...

Someone at my current place of employment is leaving the project to start another job. He'll actually even be in the same building as us. The position he is leaving on our project still has another year (or more) of longevity. Now the project has to spend time finding someone to replace him and then train/brief them on everything that has been done to date. Despite this inconvenience, they feel compelled to reward him for leaving. We have been asked to donate money for his farewell present. K and I aren't even buying ourselves Christmas presents this year and now I'm expected to spend money on the guy that's quitting? He's a nice guy and I have no problems wishing him well in his new job, but I don't see the need to give him a gift. What is the point? It is politeness gone awry. I could see giving someone a gift if they had done something particularly great, were retiring, or perhaps become a parent or something. But a present for quitting a job?!

Furthermore, most of us are on a one year contract for this project. Does that mean we'll be buying presents for everyone when our contracts end and we all leave? Not bloody likely. So why are we rewarding someone who cuts out early? I can't find a reasonable answer to this question.

We also are in the pattern of celebrating people's birthday. Everyone chips in £2 and the birthday boy or girl gets some kind of present and a cake. I was being amicable when I went along with that and I must admit, I did get a present myself (an HMV gift card), but I'm not there to socialize. I'm there to work. Is that so wrong?

-RP-

PS- One of my coworkers agrees with me about this. However, we are the only two who feel that way. Everyone else thinks I'm some kind of asshole, I guess, for not wanting to chip in for this guy's gift. It's a hard life being a reasonable person!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alright Richard,

Firstly, can I say I don't have time to reply in length to this, as -believe it or not- I'm too busy buying presents (not the christmas kind either).

Instead, I'll admonish you with a northern put-down: in manchester, you would be what is known as a 'tight gett'.

'tight' = tightfisted, i.e. holding on to yer money

'gett' = the northern pronunciation of 'git'

Yours,

Spirit-of-Goodwill Steve

p.s. check out these MP3's: the 'monkey news' segment is hilarious.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/rickygervais

RP said...

Fair enough, BUT...

a) I'm not tight, just fecking broke (a trend that has been ongoing for the past two years and getting a school loan to go to UEA didn't help either);

b) I do believe in the Spirit-of-Goodwill WHEN APPROPRIATE;

c) I've been downloading the Gervais podcasts religiously, but I haven't had much time to listen to them. Hmm... maybe I should quit my job so someone will buy me an iPod!

-RP-